6JM 2019 - 2020
Welcome to 6JM's class page!
Hello, I'm Mrs Maddox and I am teaching Year 6 this year and leading mathematics with Mrs Furlong. This will be my fifth year working at Offley.
In my spare time I enjoy baking, reading, clubbercising (which the children love in PE lessons), exploring new places in the local area, going to music concerts and spending time with my friends and family.
- PE will be taught on a Monday afternoon (both indoor and outdoor); however, the children will need their kits in school at all times as this could sometimes change.
- The children will be taught by Mrs Bennion and Mrs Edwards on a Tuesday afternoon.
- Times table tests are on a Thursday.
- Spelling tests are on a Friday and the children will receive new spellings at this time too.
- Maths homework will be due in on Mondays and SPAG homework is due on Thursdays.
- As part of 'Free Friday' the children are encouraged to bring in a book, magazine or comic of their choice to read; this doesn't have to be their Accelerated Reading book.
Spring Term Information
This term our big question is 'Can you hot foot it around North America and the world?'. We will be having a geographical and DT focus on North America and the wider world; exploring different biomes and terrains and eventually making a pair of shoes designed to withstand one of these.
Our class text this half term is the classic text 'The Selfish Giant' by Oscar Wilde, which we will be exploring through our English lessons.
Once again we will be hosting Science week in school. This event allows our pupils to get involved with hands on experiments and listen to science and engineering professionals. We want to engage pupils in jobs for the future and this is a great insight for them, so please come and share your skills and passion for science and engineering. Examples of previous helpers:
• Structural engineers doing a hands on experiment teaching how to make structures out of spaghetti and paper
• Nurse – teaching children first aid
• Forensic team - setting up a crime scene and getting the children to solve the crime
These are just a few of the ideas that we have had in previous years, so if you know anyone who could spare half a day or even an hour, then we would love to hear from you. Please call the school office on 01270 685355 to express your interest or email firstname.lastname@example.org or see Miss Allan or Mrs Till.
Science week is Monday 9th March – Friday 13th March 2020
Week ending: 17.01.20
In maths this week we have continued our work on decimals; regrouping them so they are easier to add and subtract and multiplying them by whole numbers.
The children's arms must ache this week as they have completed SO much fantastic writing in English! They have used personification and adverbial phrases to describe the weather and the Giant's garden, semi-colons to separate independent clauses in a letter to the season Spring and they have compared the Giant at different parts of the story through diary entries.
In Art we have been exploring the art and techniques used by Jackson Pollock and this week we used materials from outside to emulate his style of painting. The children thoroughly enjoyed this and were surprised with the effects they created.
Boosters will start on Monday 13th January 3:15pm until 4:15pm. The children will be working in small groups and may bring home some of the questions if they have not got through them all in the session, but please note that this is not set homework. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you.
Files to Download
6JM: News items
There are no News items to display
6JM: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
6JM: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
6JM: Events items
There are no Events items to display