6JM 2019 - 2020
Welcome to 6JM's class page!
Hello, I'm Mrs Maddox and I am teaching Year 6 this year and leading mathematics with Mrs Furlong. This will be my fifth year working at Offley.
In my spare time I enjoy baking, reading, clubbercising (which the children love in PE lessons), exploring new places in the local area, going to music concerts and spending time with my friends and family.
- PE will be taught on a Monday afternoon (both indoor and outdoor); however, the children will need their kits in school at all times as this could sometimes change.
- The children will be taught by Mrs Bennion and Mrs Edwards on a Tuesday afternoon.
- Times table tests are on a Thursday.
- Spelling tests are on a Friday and the children will receive new spellings at this time too.
- Homework will be from the choices sheet, in addition to other tasks which will be given out on Fridays this term.
- As part of 'Free Friday' the children are encouraged to bring in a book, magazine or comic of their choice to read; this doesn't have to be their Accelerated Reading book.
Autumn Term Information
This term our big question is 'Is there no place like home?'. We will be exploring World War Two and finding out how the war started, who was involved, key events, what life was like for evacuees, how the war finally ended and the impact it has had on modern events.
Our class text this half term is 'Friend or Foe' by Michael Morpurgo, which we will be dipping in and out of for guided reading. We will also be reading 'Star of Fear, Star of Hope' and 'Erika's Story' through our English lessons.
Week ending: 06.12.19
It's been another busy week in 6JM with Christmas performance rehearsals really starting to kick in now. I would like to say a big thank you in advance for providing costumes and props.
In maths this week we have focused on negative numbers; adding and subtracting these and solving problems in real life contexts, for example understanding how goal differences are calculated in football. I have been really impressed with the children's attitude, ability and reasoning skills!
Following our hybrid texts from last week we have started a completely new unit in English from the Lit Film Fest called 'Pupil Parliament'. This is a similar project to the one we completed last year, when 5JM went to the cinema in Stoke to watch their winning video.
The project this year is rather topical, as the children are creating their own political parties, writing their manifestos and political stances on areas such as energy, education and recycling. The class are really enjoying the project so far and we will be filming a final class clip to enter the competition again.
Files to Download
6JM: News items
There are no News items to display
6JM: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
6JM: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
6JM: Events items
There are no Events items to display